Monday, March 21, 2011

Baby Cthulhu!

I haven't made any posts since early last week but that doesn't mean I still haven't been busy.  The reverse has actually been true! I've been super busy recently working on different projects, I just haven't been able to talk about any of them since they're all gifts.  I've actually been noticing quite a bit recently that the majority of things I make are made as gifts, so it's tricky to write about them before I give the gift to the person because I don't want to spoil the surprise.  

But the wait is over! (at least for one of the projects!) Friends come over Saturday night for dinner and games so I was able to give them the baby Cthulhu* themed gift I had made for them.

*As a side note: If you are unfamiliar with Cthulhu, he (or she) is basically a horrific monster created by H. P. Lovecraft  in one of his short stories (the Wikipedia entry for Cthulhu can be found here).  Cthulhu, or specifically baby Cthulhu, is also the theme for our friends the Shelbys' baby's nursery.

With their inspiring theme in mind I decided to embroider a custom onesie for the baby, and since a baby Cthulhu onesie isn't complete without an argyle skirt I made a little skirt for her as well.

There were two main perks to this gift: one, it was super cute, and two, it didn't require a trip to Joanns since I already had the onesie and embroidery thread, and the fabric I used for the skirt came out of my fabric stash.

Taking a good photo of this outfit was really difficult.  I just got my new tripod in the mail the other day so that helped me with getting the angles I needed for the photo, but the color levels were still tricky.

I ended up editing both of these photos in Adobe Photoshop in an attempt to get the colors of the fabrics closer to their actual color, since the original photos were much more color saturated than they should have been.  

Oh well, this photography thing still is just a work in progress for me.  Hopefully I'll get better with time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...